WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Xoe moves in mysterious ways.
A mate of mine is developing a game and, being the helpful sort, directed him toward here. He proceeds to tell me he's put his work on here, so I asked for the name of his game - he 'forgot' it.

Fast forward and it's revealed he did not put it up here, because he's afraid of harsh criticism and feedback.

And, le me, says, "Nah, you should put it up there. It's better to get honest feedback than to have friends tell you it's good when it's really shit."

XD Not sure what he's scared of.
Mirak
You'd be surprised at how sensitive some people are. Some people lose sleep over someone telling them that their game isn't good.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Punk_Kricket
A mate of mine is developing a game and, being the helpful sort, directed him toward here. He proceeds to tell me he's put his work on here, so I asked for the name of his game - he 'forgot' it.

Fast forward and it's revealed he did not put it up here, because he's afraid of harsh criticism and feedback.

And, le me, says, "Nah, you should put it up there. It's better to get honest feedback than to have friends tell you it's good when it's really shit."

There's a pretty legit reason I never started a webcomic. Fear of failure.
author=Dudesoft
author=Punk_Kricket

There's a pretty legit reason I never started a webcomic. Fear of failure.

I'm the same way. I've numerous stories floating around in my mind but whenever I go to put the proverbial pen to paper, I tense up and psych myself out from fear. I'm slowly getting better but it's hard.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
IMO, people who are "afraid of harsh criticism and feedback" should not be doing creative work in the first place. Revelling in harsh criticism and feedback is basically the most important quality you can have for any creative job. In the long run, I feel like it's far more important than skill, talent or experience.

On the other hand, the anonymous nature of the internet can lead to you not realizing when a piece of harsh criticism was posted by another webcomic artist who has experienced similar issues, and when it was posted by a thirteen year old who is copying and pasting something irrelevant and dumb that he saw someone say somewhere else.

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Punk_Kricket

Send him my way and I'll crush his stones. That'll be my "day of kindness" act; I'll give him what he's afraid to hear and, assuming he can take it, he'll move forward.

Can we start by getting screenshots? You're close to him, he doesn't even need to hear it if it doesn't go over well.

author=LockeZ
IMO, people who are "afraid of harsh criticism and feedback" should not be doing creative work in the first place. Revelling in harsh criticism and feedback is basically the most important quality you can have for any creative job. In the long run, I feel like it's far more important than skill, talent or experience.

On the other hand, the anonymous nature of the internet can lead to you not realizing when a piece of harsh criticism was posted by another webcomic artist who has experienced similar issues, and when it was posted by a thirteen year old who is copying and pasting something irrelevant and dumb that he saw someone say somewhere else.

This is very true - and I know how frightening criticism can be, especially to a new comer. I tried to encourage him that while people may be harsh and direct, its those very same people that he should listen to as to better his craft.

author=Corfaisus
author=Punk_Kricket

Send him my way and I'll crush his stones. That'll be my "day of kindness" act; I'll give him what he's afraid to hear and, assuming he can take it, he'll move forward.

Can we start by getting screenshots? You're close to him, he doesn't even need to hear it if it doesn't go over well.

I asked him for screenshots and he said he had some on his phone, but then he maybe fidgeted with it for a minute or so and put it away. It makes me suspect there's no actual game, but mainly concept - which, even with that alone, I told him to share that to here and try to make a connection with others to try and expand his horizon on game making.

He's convinced that his story is sound, yet in the same sentence said he needs to figure out how to 'connect' the pieces of the story. To me, this means he has the outline but not the ways in which the story will connect.

Then again...bringing it back around, I'm curious as to if he's really developing something or just saying so to relate to me and the interest I've taken to game development and all, cuz I was showing him a lot of the work I've seen on here and thats what spurred him on to that topic.

He's a strange bloke, that's for sure. Next time I have him over I'm gonna see if I can't get the squeeze on some screenshots, cuz I'm curious if they exist.

I did reassure him that his premise was novel but fun - basically some cosplayers get transported from a Dragon-Con type event and into medieval times, and are forced to adapt by using their 'video game and nerd' knowledge to survive.

Still - whenever I find people interesting in doing some game dev'ing, I point them in this direction. Though hesitant, maybe I can convince him to join and share and really expand on his ideas.
Mirak
Plot twist: He hasn't done anything.
Don't pressure him too much - it might make him not want to bother. Maybe let him know that there are some games like his on the site and he might want to check them out to get some ideas as to how they went about connecting their stories together (Channel Changer and Legendary Legend are two off the top of my head that have a similar idea, but I know there's a fair few more).

Also, offering to playtest yourself (maybe a swapsies type dealio where he checks out your game for you and you do the same for him) might make him a bit more open. Especially if you ask him to point out any issues he finds in your game, not matter how small. If you open yourself up to critique from him, he might feel better about doing the same from you.

And even if he isn't past the idea stage, that's fine. You might have inspired him, so don't push him too much into 'admitting' anything. Just be nice about it and let him know that if (and when) he feels like sharing you're there to listen/help. He might be really shy about it since it sounds like he's just started. Give him time.
Dudesoft
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Dudesoft
Hell, Holmes vs Moriarty is a train wreck, and sales are so bad, I just got another 20 copies from the writer because they're taking up too much of his space.
Nothing I do will be worth shit.

How much do you charge per copy?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Punk_Kricket
I did reassure him that his premise was novel but fun - basically some cosplayers get transported from a Dragon-Con type event and into medieval times, and are forced to adapt by using their 'video game and nerd' knowledge to survive.

Sounds a bit like Legendary Legend.
Dudesoft
nm me. I need to vent somewhere.
Mirak
I dislike forums that restrict viewing posts if you're not logged in, but i think i frown more when they give you a taste of what the posts are saying and then block the rest of the post.
author=Liberty
Don't pressure him too much - it might make him not want to bother. Maybe let him know that there are some games like his on the site and he might want to check them out to get some ideas as to how they went about connecting their stories together (Channel Changer and Legendary Legend are two off the top of my head that have a similar idea, but I know there's a fair few more).

Also, offering to playtest yourself (maybe a swapsies type dealio where he checks out your game for you and you do the same for him) might make him a bit more open. Especially if you ask him to point out any issues he finds in your game, not matter how small. If you open yourself up to critique from him, he might feel better about doing the same from you.

And even if he isn't past the idea stage, that's fine. You might have inspired him, so don't push him too much into 'admitting' anything. Just be nice about it and let him know that if (and when) he feels like sharing you're there to listen/help. He might be really shy about it since it sounds like he's just started. Give him time.

I think that's what I was gonna do. I mean, the guy doesn't lack confidence, but maybe in this one area he does. Which would make sense. >_> Even I would be nervous about sharing work if I had reservations about it.
Dudesoft
Let's change topics. Everyone post some stupid image until we get a new page.

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
did somebody say

stupid images?