AKIRA TORIYAMA PASSED AWAY

Pages: 1
I just stumbled upon the news that we've lost this great man, one of the most influential Japanese artist ever. Akira Toriyama passed away on March 1st 2024.

Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump were the first mangas I ever read.
He was also the main artist behind the Dragon Quest series and Chrono Trigger.
His works have reached peak levels of success worldwide. His artwork is instantly recognizable. And his style of storytelling has influenced other artists for decades.

RIP to another one of the greatest (Kentaro Miura too, a few years ago). I will continue to love his work and draw inspiration from it.

What are your memories of and/or favorite works from Toriyama?
Dragon Ball Chapter 318 when Goku instantly appears next to Freeza and grabs his wrist.

Dragon Ball was the first manga I read. I'm devastated.
Before it got syndication on Teletoon and YTV in Canada. I remember staying up till 5am on a Friday just to catch ocean dub dragon ball on FOX TV channel 29, and then a couple of years later, staying up till 5 to record Dragon Ball Z from YTV on VHS tape to show my friends later. The first episode I saw of DBZ was "Terror on Arlia".

It was surreal to watch this episode at night, being so familiar with the first 13 episodes of DragonBall, because it was still Dragon Ball but they devoted an entire episode to the villains?? and the villains looked like they could've been good guys till they destroyed the planet they just saved - there was something very beavis & butthead about the episode. Followed by Home for Infinite Losers (I have this episode memorized off by heart on a VHS tape somewhere with Roujin Z and Wings of Honneamise) they made Hell look like a pretty cool place to live.

In between all this, I remember going to China Town during 95' and picking up a Dragon GT super sayian 3 figurine and this poster:

This was back before the internet, there were no english dubs, or video streaming sites to share online yet.
There was no fan sites like planet namek. So I had no idea who these characters were or how big the show was gonna be.

68 is so young.

I think the coolest moment for me was seeing Dragon Ball Super Heroes being a box office success during the middle of the pandemic? I feel like there was so much more time to see how big these characters would become, sort of like how everyone during the 90s was wearing those Looney Tunes and Disney's sweat shirts, because everyone had seen the animated shorts through syndicated reruns.

EDIT: One more thing to add. During a recent PAX interview with Sakaguchi. Sakaguchi said Toriyama still used Adobe Illustrator 1.0 to make art with. I still remember that to this day. cause it was a reason to still rock old software.

I can't believe the guy is gone :( :( :(

EDIT2: He always made this stuff look easy. He always made it look like fun.
I kinda don't want to think about this because I've been on a weird headspace recently but it does really hurt to see the guys that have been going recently. I actually didn't catch up on some, and I'm definitely missing on others, but as the saying goes, life continues.

I'll always miss Toriyama even if I really didn't like Super. But Dragon Ball made me, it's my childhood and a good portion of my rest of life (I'm from Latin America, so guess how big was DBZ there lol). It touched many people in many different ways. And uh yeah, also Dr. Slump, like, nowadays I might not have the time to binge all 300 or 600 episodes of Dragon Ball and DBZ, but heck that's why I watch DBZ Abridged lol. Somehow I've watched this so many times and I kinda go back to it every once in a while.

Akira Toriyama, Kentaro Miura and Kazuki Takahashi. All three honestly still very young and I'll definitely miss them.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
The news caught me completely by surprise and it was a very sad realization. I had already come to terms with the fact that I'd live to hear about Toriyama's death, but I expected him to live well into his 80s. Dragon Ball was a great influence for me (just like orochii I'm from Latin America and DBZ is huge here) and its creator will be forever missed.

So many great mangaka died in recent years, I don't want to think about the one who's next on the list.
Pages: 1