RMN V4.6 A.K.A. "BACKLOG"

When you add spaces to a post deliberately to create space between one word and another, if it's more than two spaces, when posted it will reduce to one.

See this is what should show.

that's just how HTML rendering works, tho.

I can try to play around with <pre> tags or something, but it's not high on my list.
It's okay, a minor thing really. I just thought I'd mention it in case it was a bug or something simple.
author=karins_soulkeeper
Oh yeah, speaking of notices...

Was that bug about being auto-subscribed to articles you post in fixed? It was rather annoying since you can't un-subscribe (since you aren't actually 'subscribed' in the first place). I haven't posted on any article recently, so I can't tell.

... do forgive me for derailing your discussion

This isn't really a bug. There are no subscriptions for Articles (as you stated), but you can turn off receiving notices for Articles in your Profile Settings

http://rpgmaker.net/account/settings/
Would it be possible to have an option to "stack" new images?

I would sometimes like to upload more than one image but I don't want to bump everyone else out of the way.

Likewise, it's disappointing when the same thing happens to me. Someone else mentioned this earlier, Lockez I think it was (sorry if I have the wrong username).

I'd be a neat feature to have.

I mean, you're not supposed to upload two blogs in a row, wouldn't it be logical to have the same kind of mindset for the other submissions? Why apply a certain disposition for images but not for the rest?

sated
Maybe it should ask you if you want to upload a single image or a batch, and if you choose batch then it picks only one of those images to be put in the latest screenshot section... or even displays one of them but has a special icon to show that there is more than one?

Actually, this is exactly what I was trying to say.
I just whipped this up (it's messy) but it gives an idea.

To go from this:

to this:

Each stack of pictures would be from a different author. This would promote diversity on the front page and discourage flooding the front page with a single project's content.

EDIT: This is nothing against the author of the screenshots here. I did the same thing way back then but wished I could've avoided it by having a stack option.
Front Page Screenshots
...with the option to pick which picture you want on top of the stack. Sort of like you choose which picture you pick to represent your game:

I think it'd be more community friendly.

At the moment, clicking on "Latest Screenshots" loads up a new page with 20 screens. Now, if you just recently submitted something right before a member uploads 11 screens in one shot, you're pushed into oblivion.

Another good idea, I think, would be to have the option to load more screens straight from the front page like so:

Just more practical that way I think.

The Rating System
I would also be in favor of removing the star system. This would encourage people to actually read reviews to make up their own idea about the game instead of just skimming over the number of stars. Quite frankly, I just see this as a source of problem. A well written review will give a person interested into the game what he needs to know to play it or not. Rock, Paper, Shotgun does without numbers entirely and I think it's better that way. Eurogamer and Jostiq also gave up scores.

If a sort of rating is absolutely necessary, then something like: recommended/not recommended would be plenty.

They also have professional paid reviewers. But what I don't get is - we have a gradient scoring system here, and an environment where a review with 0.5 stars or 5 stars gets TONS of backlash/feedback/brouhaha, and the solution is to replace it with a system that basically amounts to "You can give 0 stars or 5 stars and nothing else" (aka the recommendation system).

It seems like a big disconnect.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
TBCH I think a lot of people do 0 stars or 5 stars already, but I do think that a user review setup works best as a gradiated aggregate, since it can give a better idea of overall popularity. Good stuff will generally rise to the top; bad or iffy stuff will have a lower overall score.

I think the biggest problem is the variety of review philosophies (Does 5 mean "well made" or "outstanding" or even "perfect"? Is 3 a passing grade or a failure?) and there's not a lot one can do about that without becoming some kind of reviews dictator, which strikes me as less fun than what the powers that be here do already.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D

This is what I go by when I see a review score. And as long as the review backs up the score given, then it's fine.

I like the star system and don't think it should disappear. The argument of skimming over just the star rating could also be applied to the title of the review. Plus, it'd mean the Highly Rated section of the front page would go away, and I'd hate to see that.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but I'd like to see the stars for a review of a demo be a different color than the stars of a completed game review. Then perhaps, when a game is marked as completed, it would only determine its score average from the reviews submitted for the completed version. If there was some indication of which color is which, you could tell at a glance if the review is outdated or not. If not, then perhaps add a tag in the review title for whether or not it's a demo review? Hm...
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Yeah I'm just going from what I've seen in arguments about reviews a couple times.

Also the question of where standards for "good game" go- do we lower standards for amateur hour or be total elitists? (Though I feel like the aggregate smooths these issues out well enough.)

author=Red_Nova
I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but I'd like to see the stars for a review of a demo be a different color than the stars of a completed game review. Then perhaps, when a game is marked as completed, it would only determine its score average from the reviews submitted for the completed version. If there was some indication of which color is which, you could tell at a glance if the review is outdated or not. If not, then perhaps add a tag in the review title for whether or not it's a demo review? Hm...

Yeah, this would be good, since I've seen games whose jump in quality between demo and release are p. crazy.
author=Sated
I've previously suggested that reviews be assigned to a "version" of the game, and only reviews for the current "version" get considered for the star-rating, but there didn't seem to be any appetite for it.

After all, it's not just between demo and release that RM games change, people can make big changes after release as well. I have at least one review that I've deactivated the star-rating for because the developer made big changes to their game based on my review.

please don't confuse "kentona not actually working on the codebase" with "there is no appetite for it"

I am considering going granular with the reviews, but I am debating on how much. Right now, due to the overall lack of reviews per game (most games have 0 to 2 reviews, and the most any game has is 17), having them associated with the version level might be too much. I am leaning towards dividing the reviews based on the game status 'Production' vs 'Complete'. For games in production, it would show the 'demo score' in stars with an orange tint, and would take into account all reviews. For games that are 'Complete', the average score would be based on reviews that were published after the Completion date, and the demo score would only show up if there are no reviews for the completed game yet.

Part of the reasoning behind that is because the older reviews aren't attached to a specific version, so the best I can do is to compare their pulbished date against the game's completion date and production status. It's not super ideal, but I think it is a better way of doing things than what we have now, works with our legacy review system, and is appropriate for the low saturation of reviews per game.
Sooz
Published date reviews sound awesome.