WHY YOUR NAME?

Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Back in 2001 when I first got rm2k I was signing up on Don's forums but I hadn't really been part of an online community before and needed a username; I couldn't think of one.

My friend and I were really into Dragonball Z at the time, and that day I happened to be reading an article about a fictional sequel to Dragonball GT called Dragonball AF, in which there was a fusion of Gohan and Trunks called Trihan. I thought that sounded pretty cool so I went with SSJ Trihan/SSJTrihan as my username.

Fast forward a year or several and I'm not that into DBZ any more, so I take off the SSJ part and just start going by Trihan, which has been my online name ever since.

Funnily enough, since that day I have never been able to find a reference to the character Trihan anywhere online, even in pages about Dragonball AF.

Interesting fact: 90% of people think it's pronounced "tree-han" but it should actually be "try-han".
meisam
meisam your not using semicolon properly, and that's a laughing matter.
well, i always use omega as my name (Omega Weapon in FF8)
but this time i forget about everything and used meisam my real name, i guess this time i was serious :)
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=ChuJooRi
It's my real name. Stalk me.
Well this sums me up. Although I also go by GIJoint sometimes, YT for example.
Latin.

Nova= New
Lux= Light

I often try to think of things in a new light, and games that make you think differently about things are generally my favorite type.

author=Trihan
Interesting fact: 90% of people think it's pronounced "tree-han" but it should actually be "try-han".

Oh... I'm still gonna pronounce it "tree-han"
author=Trihan

I pronounced it 'Try-han' from the first time I read it. Like Tri-force, haha. I didn't get the DBZ reference though, even though I used to watch it. Blurb. Trunks was so cool! And his dad, of course. lol
I much prefer the term "Tree-Hand," but, Kat, you're way is better, too.
4th grade playing Ragnarok Online, and my favorite pokemon at the time was Yanma, and I misspelled it... with an o. So it just kinda stuck.
my name chose me

sometimes a word comes to you out of nowhere and sticks. "mawk" has no origin, and means nothing

the same word was used for a couple of things in more archaic English and gave rise to the term "mawkish" (meaning disgustingly sentimental), but those were all things I learned after assuming the name
author=Trihan
a fusion of Gohan and Trunks called Trihan

shouldn't it be "Truhan"? and i dunno about 90%, i've always read it as try-han. like Kat said, it's like triforce.

author=Tau
I also go by GIJoint sometimes

awesome!! haha i want to use that as the name of a character in one of my games. a big tough army guy who always got a big fattie in his mouth
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
It's interesting to read where other people got their username from. Here goes why edchuy:

My username consists of the first syllable of my real first name and my last name. A lot of people when they repeat my first name after hearing the first time often get it wrong, but always got the first syllable right: "Ed". So that kind of stuck. In case, you're wondering, my first name is actually shorter than my username and it also has two syllables.

My last name, although of Cantonese origin (the second most widespread dialect of Chinese, very common in Chinatowns), doesn't appear to be very common:

Chuy Distribution

and means pig:

Pig Chinese

I have relatives who romanized that to Chu and Chiu. Funny thing, I found from some movies I saw that "Chuy" is also used as a nickname for males named "Jesus" in Mexico.

Anyway, my siblings and I were used to be called by our last name a lot in school by my last name, since it's only one syllable, easy to remember and kinda catchy.

I have been using my username probably for about 20 years now ...
Mine has a abit of history behind it, it used to be Kalisto back in the day around 2004-2007 if I recall then I eventually changed it to Kaliesto.

I was known as a special-boss player in a Byond.com Megaman X game, I was called Kalisto the Blue Lightning, I was a clone of Zero with blue/black/gray/green colors. (EDIT: Ray wasn't my boss that gave me this position, I was part of another MMX game before RayquazaChampion). I forget my Master's name that turned me into that character, hope he is doing well anyway. There was this guy Bolt-Dragon he was pretty much my MMX/FF partner in byond.com. We were like a duo in a way.

The Admin of another MMX game which was abit later, RayquazaChampion was my boss for this particular MMX game, he was hard to get along with due to his moments of insanity that comes out of nowhere. The kid had alot of problems though because of some real life issues he was having, probably made him unstable because of home-situation. Hope the kid is alright these days, I lost complete contact with him when Byond.com was dying out due to the internet evolving. The last I seen of him was a few years ago when I was paying Byond.com a visit to see if the niche community was still around, he made a new MMX game, but it quickly died it out seemed, guess it was destined to not survive.

Those were my better days, hell of alot more fun than it is now on the internet. Lol we even had rival wars became another guy named ZeroVirus and MegamanVirus, oh god the chaos at the time was hilarious and there always dumb conspiracies going on. We even had a incident that a former co-admin(MMV or ZV, not sure) banned my boss from his own game, hilariousness ensued after. Man WAS HE PISSED.

When I tried to play their games on byond, Ray would think I was with the enemy or something lol. At this point I had enough and ended up being a double-triple agent for these guys just for the LuLz of it.

EDIT: By the way, I know some people here probably were on Byond at some point. So you all might have seen me make the rounds back then, I was a mischievous kid back then. My very first username was Warrior101 and I used to play the Dragon Quest games on there..btw if you choose to go there and see a guy named Soda, tell him I said hi if he still plays the DQ games. Assuming he still goes by that alias.
@edchuy

Wait, are you from HK?? Also, "pig" sounds more like "juu" than "chuy" to me.
edchuy
author=ivoryjones
@edchuy

Wait, are you from HK?? Also, "pig" sounds more like "juu" than "chuy" to me.

No ... but my parents and other older relatives did escape to HK during WW2 when Japan invaded China in the 1940 from the Guangzhou (Canton) Province.

The sound of a word in Cantonese can be difficult to romanize to English (English spellings many times don't give you a clue of how the word should be pronounced, why there those pesky pronunciations \prə-ˌnən(t)-sē-ˈā-shəns also ÷-ˌnau̇n(t)-\ next to the words in English dictionaries). In Cantonese, you have one syllable words that can have different tones. There are a couple of existing systems, making things more convoluted:

Cantonese Pinyin
Yale Romanization

They allow people to learn to speak Cantonese phonetically without having to deal with the Chinese characters at all.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Link: That's actually why the name caught my eye; I would have thought it'd be Truhan as well but obviously whoever came up with it thought Trihan sounded better. Fusions aren't always a perfect mix of the names of the people making them up anyway; Vegetto for instance.
@edchuy
That's interesting. Other than this entertainer nicknamed Xiu Chu, I'm afraid I haven't heard of "pig" as a last name, but "red" (with the same pronunciation). Can you type and speak in Cantonese? It's nice to meet a fellow Chinese in this community. (:
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Trihan
Link: That's actually why the name caught my eye; I would have thought it'd be Truhan as well but obviously whoever came up with it thought Trihan sounded better. Fusions aren't always a perfect mix of the names of the people making them up anyway; Vegetto for instance.
My favourite DBZ style name was by my friend Geckotoss. He played Well of Souls as Dill Piccilo, a pickle with powers and bandages. He is now part of the RMNverse secretly.
edchuy
@IJ May I ask what's your last name?

As far as I know, red doesn't sound in Cantonese anything like pig:

Red Cantonese

Perhaps you are thinking of another color?

No, I never learned to read or write Chinese characters at all. In regards to speaking it, I don't get to practice it that often. I only use Cantonese when I go visit relatives and when that happens, I realize how poor my vocabulary, pronunciation and grammar have gotten. Can you write and speak it yourself?

I wonder how many other members are of Chinese descendance. :)

author=Trihan

they usually use the available letters in both original names though!

Goku (孫 悟空, Son Gokū), born Kakarot (カカロット, Kakarotto)
Vegeta (ベジータ), or Prince Vegeta

but yeah, trihan does sound better.
@Edchuy
It's Tsui. What I had in mind was this.
edchuy
author=ivoryjones
@Edchuy
It's Tsui. What I had in mind was this.

Sorry, ij, I tried a Google translate and still couldn't figure out what you meant ...