RPG MAKER STEAM SALE AND MZ VS MV TALK

Pages: 1
Just saw that RPG Maker games are on sale on steam and like I've done in the past I'm letting you all know about it.

That said I have a question. Is there a point to buying both MZ and MV as a bundle?

I've been thinking to buy MZ but I see that MV can be bought together, what advantage would that give me?

Frankly I'm still cozy with good old XP but I'm thinking I would like to make games that can be played on phones in the future and I think both MV and MZ can do that, correct?

I was looking around the internet for comparisons between MV and MZ but the posts I found were all years old back when MZ was new. I saw someone say that MV the older one was somehow better for mobile games. I don't get how that could be the case. But for the most part people were saying MZ was better but didn't have as many community made plug-ins or something like that.

(EDIT: I just realized RPG Maker Unite is supposed to come out this year, figured I should mention that. But I have no idea what that one will cost.)

Anyway what are your thoughts?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
From what I understand, the people that already had MV had no particular desire to get MZ. I think I recall reading posts from MV users, saying that MZ shouldn't have been it's own separate engine, and be an upgrade to MV. I only have MZ, so I don't really have a point of comparison here. Though, thinking about it this way, I suppose the differences between MV and MZ might be similar to, say, VX and Ace? In that the underlying engine and functions might be very similar, but, MZ has a number of bells and whistles that would make it an overall better engine to develop in than MV.

I don't know the state of plug-in support for either, but, I do know Yanfly has sets of plug-ins for both, and a non-zero number of them are paid content. To the best of my knowledge, MV was the last engine Yanfly made free scripts for. Any scripts he made for MZ might have gone into VisuStella's suites of plug-ins? I'm sure there's users on this site with better/more info than me in this regard.
It just occurred to me that RPG Maker Unite will come out this year which makes me wonder if I should wait for that newest engine.
Its probably why that sale is happening now.
Though I have no idea how much Unite will cost.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
MZ changed the way battle animations are done after decades of them being handled effectively the same way with each iteration of RPG Maker.

I remember trying out a timed trial for MZ and not being impressed outside of a few enhancements, as I already had MV, which I'm not super fond of either. RPG Maker MZ felt like when developers make a next-gen version of a game that isn't even that old and add a few features to entice people to buy it, but if you already owned the first release there's no reason you need to buy the new one.

That being said, they seem to be pushing people to buy both MZ and Unite:

RPG Maker Unite Official Website
RPG Maker Unite is not a direct successor to RPG Maker MZ. RPG Maker Unite is designed to work on top of Unity and have no direct compatibility with past project files and plugins.
RPG Maker MZ is still a very viable product and it is recommended that those with projects in progress or liked the traditional UI could consider continuing to use RPG Maker MZ!
I would say the only reason to grab MV is to get access to the resources that are centric to that version. If you don't care about the music, sounds (lol), graphics and such, then there's really no need for it, but for someone who prefers the MV RTP to most of the MZ RTP, since they're both the same size they're easy to swap in/out as will.

As someone who's been in the game (so to speak) for 20+ years, don't bother with Unite until (if) it comes out. And maybe wait to hear about the bug reports. I'd probably hold off on Unite until after the first week or two and then reasses as to whether you really want it or not based on what people are saying.

Of course, if you want the bragging rights of having the whole set, bundle is the way to go...
Welp I went ahead and bought MZ. Hopefully it winds up being worth the purchase.
A few months ago I also bought a 3D dev thing called Game Guru but haven't had much time to use it yet. For the time being I still need to wrap up some other projects I'm working on. Despite having a 3D tool, I figure I'll still want to do some 2D games as well so thats why I got MZ.
welp, the way I figure it is - will I be able to make use of MZ before the NEXT sale? The answer is (unsurprisingly), no.

(I still haven't dug into VX, let alone Ace or MV)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

You should buy RPG Maker VX Ace for sure.
I recommend MZ, mostly for the sole reason that it has a preview move route feature. Saves a lot of tedious test playing just to check if your events are moving how you'd like them to.

Certainly made my last few games I created with MZ a lot less bother than all my previous ones.
author=Sunflower Games
You should buy RPG Maker VX Ace for sure.

I did! Ages ago!!

I still haven't dug into it.

(rm2k3 4 lyf)
Pages: 1