2017 PSA: ONLINE SAFETY

Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I've had some interesting things happen in an MMO. Impostors, pseudo-stalkers, the whole nine yards. It can get pretty creepy.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=LockeZ
Thousands of unhinged strangers from school and work and the supermarket already have your contact info. Doxxing didn't make those situations possible. They were always possible.

And if any of those strangers were to use that contact info to send people with ill intent your way over a petty argument, it would be equally horrible (and probably illegal). I can't believe you truly don't realise the problem.

Doxxing didn't make intrigues and harassment possible, but did make those situations more likely, as it's a lot easier to find and organise hate/harassment groups on the internet. Never mind that having publicly visible personal information about you available on the internet makes you much more vulnerable than sharing it during personal interaction. Since in real life, you can't as easily connect the pieces as with the click of a mouse, or even have it happen automatically through some algorithms or a programmed bot.

Practices like this are just as vile if used by people you've personally interacted with as they are when used by angry strangers on the internet. And since RMN is a place on the internet, it's only logical to take measures against it here, too. If you don't think trying to help spare others the pain of potentially being mocked, bullied, exposed or attacked is worth the effort, I strongly suggest you rethink your priorities in life.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Harassing is bad! Sharing someone's personal info is only bad if used for harassment. It can also be used for a lot of other reasons, including self-defense against harassment, buying someone pizza, engaging in activism against someone who respresents a cause you're opposed to, or sending well-wishes to someone who's in the hospital. I don't think it's appropriate to treat it as a punishable offense. Punish people for doing shitty things, not for just looking like they might be planning to do shitty things.

I feel that this particular situation was handled appropriately, but am worried about the implication in the OP that "mentioning someone's name gets you permabanned" is going to be a policy.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Well, let's simplify this. In legal terms, putting someone's address on the internet and encouraging people to go to your home and do something is referred to very specifically as "Inciting Violence". Yes, it is illegal. Yes, you will go to jail for doing it if you're caught.

LockeZ
Harassing is bad! Sharing someone's personal info is only bad if used for harassment. It can also be used for a lot of other reasons, including self-defense against harassment, buying someone pizza, engaging in activism against someone who respresents a cause you're opposed to, or sending well-wishes to someone who's in the hospital. I don't think it's appropriate to treat it as a punishable offense. Punish people for doing shitty things, not for just looking like they might be planning to do shitty things.

I feel that this particular situation was handled appropriately, but am worried about the implication in the OP that "mentioning someone's name gets you permabanned" is going to be a policy.

I doubt that. Everyone who pays attention knows my name. Just calling someone by name isn't going to be considered doxxing. If that were the case, we'd be doxxing every time we said, "Hey, Liberty! I have a question!" or "Kenton, what does the A stand for, again?"

please don't ban me.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Well said, pianotm!

I already hoped this whole argument was more of a misunderstanding than an actual disagreement. As long as we can all accept the general idea behind "don't publicly share others' personal information against their will or in order to hurt them," everything should be fine.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
As long as RMN's new slogan doesn't become "The A is for BANNED" I have finished being a pessimist for today
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
OP
If you are unfamiliar with what 'doxxing' is, this is to publish personal information about someone, such as their real name, social media presence, or perhaps even address or place of employment, usually with the intention of that person being harassed or to cause problems with their personal life

Attempting to organize campaigns of harassment against our users is a serious offense and won't be tolerated.

I think it's pretty clear that sharing personal info with intent to harass others is what we're talking about here, not just saying someone's name.
Of course we're going to look into things before banning. >.<
We already said proof was a necessity...
LockeZ
On a lighter note, here's a chat log from one time on my MUD when someone threatened and harassed another user, and then doxxed himself. The key names have been changed or omitted, but otherwise this is word for word.

(30 minutes of Santabot bragging about how he grows illegal drugs but his home is police-proof, and how another clan leader is a gay chicken-shit who should come visit so he can legally shoot him with a shotgun for trespassing.)
<Santabot> Now where were we? My address?
<Santabot> (I'm censoring this line, but he really did list his address on public chat)
<Santabot> See you in 3.5 hours, pussy.

...an hour later...

<Katt> Oh good, he's not on this chan.
<Katt> Feel free to check USPS order number <censored>
<Omicron> Haha, what did you mail him.
<Katt> 20 boxes of 25 boxes
<Katt> 7-10 business days.
<Omicron> Mm, I put that number in at the USPS website and it said I couldn't see it :(
<Katt> Oh, hah. You probably need to log onto my account.
<Lance> You deserve a prize.
<Omicron> So, it's basically up to you, Katt, to see where that box goes.
<Katt> Haha, I'll keep an eye on the delivery info.
<Omicron> So, you really put 25 smaller boxes inside 20 big boxes?
<Omicron> So that he can't just throw the boxes away?
<Katt> Yeah, it's a box of 25 boxes, haha. And the max order was 20 of them.
<Omicron> Oh my god.
<Shinji> That's amazing, man.
<Omicron> He has to take out and fold all of them.
<Katt> I think the inside ones are folded when they arrive.
<Omicron> Still!
<Omicron> That's so many boxes!
<Katt> Haha, we'll see if they get to him or whatnot.
<Katt> :( I hope he didn't lie about his address.
<Shinji> I don't think he did.
<Omicron> No, he spit out that address really fast
<LockeZ> It matches his earlier description of his area pretty well
<Shinji> it matches, honestly. small trail behind residences in trees, perfect for a doublewide on someone else's property (he said he has no housing fees, just power + phone)
<Katt> I addressed the boxes to Santabot Gaylorde
<Shinji> Man. You are officially awesome.
<LockeZ> Brilliant.
<Shinji> Welcome to the cool kids club.

...several days later...

Santabot enters the MUD.
<Santabot> That is so hweming hilarious.
<Santabot> I just accepted delivery on 6 20 pound boxes full of other boxes.
<Dana> !!!!
<Santabot> Addressed to "Santabot Gaylorde"
<Johan> oh fuck I can't breathe
<Azeral> Best.
Delita rolls on the floor laughing.
<Santabot> Listening to the mailman bitch about how hard this place is to find the entire time.
<Shinji> YES
<Johan> SANTABOT GOT THE BOXES :D
<Shinji> He got 6 of them.
<Shinji> 6 of 40, 34 left.
<Delita> WIN.
<Honatuto> I'm confused. And I feel like I'm missing something major.
<Shinji> The other week, santabot was all OMG INTERNET TOUGHGUYing, and was all COME ON AND I'LL SHOW YOU AND THEN I'LL SHOOT YOU and gave his address.
<Santabot> The question is, who here is actually lame enough to buy/pay to ship 6 cases of priority mail boxes.
Honatuto rolls on the floor laughing.
<Canopus> That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
<Santabot> No doubt.
<Santabot> I am still laughing.
<Shinji> Wonder if he'll keep laughing if/when the other 34 cases come.
<Johan> It's even funnier because Santabot doesn't realize the boxes are free.
<Shinji> Indeed!
<Johan> We can keep sending them endlessly.
<Dana> I was curious as to how boxes are free. How big are these boxes?
<Shinji> Not sure, check the USPS store.
<Johan> They're free because in theory you pay for them when you pay the shipping for using them.
<Katt> I wish I could send him messages in the boxes. Maybe I should send boxes in binary code. 0 for a no-box day, and 1 for a box day.
<LockeZ> Maybe you can find something else to send besides boxes.
<Dana> AOL CDs.
<LockeZ> Oh god, AOL CDs.
<Katt> I would need to be able to ship a TON of AOL CDs
<Katt> I will send him a mormon.
<Katt> Okay, I sent him some video about being a good mormon family, and requested that a missionary go talk to him, my son, who is unwilling to listen to me.
author=LockeZ
MUD Post

I gotta pop back in there from time to time. Miss that place! :D
Thanks for your hard work guys. :) Thanks for taking action on whoever did this kind of crap.

Seriously, it's not hard to be a decent person, and it's depressing to see that some people have difficulty with the concept.

author=Solitayre
Hello RMNers,

I still hear all of your posts in Eeyore's voice. XD
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
First all hell breaks loose in America's political circles, then some wack job starts doxxing people on RMN? What's wrong with people? Also I'm back from the grave. Oogy boogy boo.

And LockeZ, I know you've probably heard of it, but remember the lone gunman who wanted to be a hero during the whole PizzaGate scandal? Drove 500 miles from North Carolina to New York state with an AR-15 to do some "personal investigating" and wound up putting two rounds in the ceiling before walking away with nothing to show for it?

"We don't even have a basement." probably should've been enough for anyone else but noooooo... Gotta take slanderous rumors at face value and track a person's location down to a 3 meter radius to set the facts straight yourself. Thank God no one was hurt.
hahahahahahaha lockez is what assures me that no matter how much time passes, rmn will be rmn

and doxxing can be pretty dangerous indeed but im not gonna argue lel everyone but one is aware of it so whatever
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=LockeZ
As long as RMN's new slogan doesn't become "The A is for BANNED" I have finished being a pessimist for today

pretty sure that quote was used in the past
Almost fell victim to this once, somewhat.

I uh... got into a rather heated argument with a certain user somewhere. As far as I was concerned, it was a regular, moderated debate about a... rather "touchy" topic. But the other party apparently took things a bit too personally. After things went down the drain, just when I was about to call it quits, he revealed an address; the cathedral in my city, about 15 minutes from my house. Challenged me to meet him there, or he'll "visit" me himself.

After an hour with no response, he claimed he'll hack me to find out "what pit I crawled out of".

Luckily, I was using a public computer elsewhere, and that device apparently returned Petro... that Russian place in the far east end of the continent as its address.

That was the last I've heard of him, and that place.
author=karins_soulkeeper
Almost fell victim to this once, somewhat.

I uh... got into a rather heated argument with a certain user somewhere. As far as I was concerned, it was a regular, moderated debate about a... rather "touchy" topic. But the other party apparently took things a bit too personally. After things went down the drain, just when I was about to call it quits, he revealed an address; the cathedral in my city, about 15 minutes from my house. Challenged me to meet him there, or he'll "visit" me himself.

After an hour with no response, he claimed he'll hack me to find out "what pit I crawled out of".

Luckily, I was using a public computer elsewhere, and that device apparently returned Petro... that Russian place in the far east end of the continent as its address.

That was the last I've heard of him, and that place.

Wow. Kind of sad that people can't just get along. I try not to give out any information, but sometimes I wonder how many people actually know where I live. >.>
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

This happens to famous Youtubers all the time. The less info you have connected to you the better. I don't feel famous enough to worry about it too much. Though I wonder how hard it would be to track down my real address in Taiwan.
Yeah, cool to see the ins and outs discussed a while.

I love you guys for being serious n helpful for it : )
And yeah, if anyone ever needs help, for such things or otherwise, do reach out. It's always welcome.

<3
LockeZ
KARINS_SOULKEEPER, MEET ME AT THE WATER CRYSTAL SHRINE. I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BOSS BATTLE
author=LockeZ
KARINS_SOULKEEPER, MEET ME AT THE WATER CRYSTAL SHRINE. I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BOSS BATTLE

this stuff is good. This is how you do it.

Also, "what pizza do you want, salami?" that's how you use personal information : D haha.

And.. I don't know who was affected this time around, but I wish them all the best : )