[MAFIA] - SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI {GAME OVER}

CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
Not from the start. I think she recruited him around day 3.
Well, near to the start. Question - did that spear really fail or did it have moderator help for the sake of DRAMA and SUSPENCE?
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
none of the weapons were ever going to work, except for the anti-lurking sword. the three that were dropped later were just put there because nobody was posting and I wanted to start drama, and also make that joke.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The quote page is full of gold.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
author=Ratty524
The quote page is full of gold.

yeah there's a lot more good quotes but I stopped updating that thing pretty early on
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Pianotm: I definitely felt like I was banging my head against a wall, but as it turns out the only way I could win was to keep banging and banging until Liberty picked Nessiah as the new lucifer. That was my win condition.

In related news, and I mean this in the kindest possible way, fuck you, cavedog. That was the worst win condition. I had no influence over it at all, and also didn't even know what it was until the second to last day.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Actually, LockeZ, you guys would have made it all much better if you had simply lynched Nessie, forcing her to choose a new YHWH.

Seriously, you should not have won. Libby knew Nessy was YHWH, but somehow, she gave into psy's fakeclaim, so...WAY TO GO, PSY!
A part of the problem, I think, is that all law would tell us is that killing lucifers was the way to go...except it wasn't. That just lead to more and more recruits and some of us losing the game. Lucifer knew the goal, nessy knew the goal, but she wouldn't tell us so we could lynch her. I wanted to lynch psy at one point just for being cryptic.
pianotm
Yeah, I actually got spooked into outing him as my partner with all the lynch suggestions against him. There was YM, you, and I think one other seriously considered lynching him.

Basically, you let Nessie control the narrative. I just read through her chat with psy. She KNEW she needed be lynched but didn't think it would be as much fun. Anyway, this is supposed to be mafia. Doing the same thing over again...I definitely couldn't have done that. I'd have said we needed to do something different because this is just dragging things out.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
author=LockeZ
Pianotm: I definitely felt like I was banging my head against a wall, but as it turns out the only way I could win was to keep banging and banging until Liberty picked Nessiah as the new lucifer. That was my win condition.

In related news, and I mean this in the kindest possible way, fuck you, cavedog. That was the worst win condition. I had no influence over it at all, and also didn't even know what it was until the second to last day.

I agree that having one player's wincon hinge on another player's actions is problematic. The potential for half wins is there as a sort of counterbalance to that. Additionally, while you could never influence Nessiah that much, you had a lot of influence over Liberty, so the charity 'players' could have gotten 1.5 wins regardless of not knowing exactly how YHWH was supposed to win.

Also, I feel like this setup relies on every single player making optimal decisions, which you won't find in most communities. Had Nessiah figured out that lynching herself was the best move, a charity win would have been a lot easier.
pianotm
Altogether, I can't say I disliked this game. I did like it. The idea of two people controlling the players like puppeteers is actually really neat. Nobody knew Libby was pulling the strings and I was just delighted that everyone was freaking out and didn't realize it was Libby making them freak out.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
Yeah, a large part of this game had to do with controlling the narrative. There is nothing anywhere that says Chaos is scum or Law is town. All the pro-chaos players got dunked on early on because they were playing with a scum mindset. And because of Frogge doing what he did I guess.

Additionally, as some of you know, this is not the first time that this game was run! It was originally played on another forum. It ran much 'cleaner' there, mostly, I think, because Lucifer stayed alive for a lot longer, only ever recruiting one person. Also, on that forum, the game went to day 7 and took only 3 IRL days. Once we got to the part where everyone knew what was happening, it was just kind of a pain to watch, but the ending made it worth it, because I was actually sure that chaos had this game in the bag.

Also, everyone ignored my warning about sharing information and shared all of the information they had. And some of them (Humility) still won despite absolutely doing, from their POV, the worst things possible.

I said this in the setup doc but this makes me think that this setup is like the ff8 train minigame. Where nothing you do matters, but it 'feels' cool. In that sense, I would say it's more about the experience and less about who won. In a traditional mafia game, this lack of correlation between player input/game output shouldn't really exist.

The best team was the neutral team. They were the only people who really went hard trying to manipulate others and successfully outplayed everyone else.

pianotm
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
The best team was the neutral team. They were the only people who really went hard trying to manipulate others and successfully outplayed everyone else.

Even though one of us was Libby's first and only NK.
I didn't share my information. :<
Just my fake information... which I fucked up by misreading some stuff, so really that wasn't real either. XD

It was certainly an interesting game, though.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, psy was MVP in this game.

I wonder how many people thought I actually had a lie-detector power. I thought that was kind of a brilliant lie because in a typical mafia game scum are lying about almost everything and town are telling the truth about almost everything, and I could partially negate scum's ability to lie just by scaring them out of doing it. Plus it fit really well with Cave's initial message about being careful about what info you share and about this game being balanced by learning of information. Unfortunately in this game it seems like lying was the only way we could've given ourselves an advantage as town, and I might have scared my own team out of doing it.
pianotm
And the man still thinks there was town and scum. But FYI, if there was town and scum, Chaos would have been town. They outnumbered Law quite a bit. Js.
LockeZ
Well, chaos-aligned did outnumber law-aligned 6 to 5, but that's why our lose condition of being outnumbered didn't kick in until day 6.

The chaos-aligned people were still definitely the scum team, by standard definitions, because they had a nightkill and won by outnumbering everyone else. While the law-aligned people did not have a nightkill and won by killing all chaos-algined people. The only thing that was terribly unusual about it was that killing all chaos-aligned people was done in a really really weird way.

Edit: what was the end of the world and why didn't it happen
Sweet, sweet release! This game was fun but it'd have been nice if it ended like a week(irl) sooner.

Hikit I am so sorry you didn't get a win. That super sucks. If charity had just jumped on my plan to identify YHWH before Cave realized my power was broken, we all could have won something! Well, except Nessy.
pianotm
pianotm in deadchat
I wish I was playing so I could beg you to modkill me!