PRESIDENT TRUMP

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
harmonic
Okay... you got me. I'm betraying my dream to be a KKK grand wizard. Don't look at me... I'm a monster! ;_;

YES! Take your Jedi weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete!
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Guys I already said once that this thread isn't for picking fights with harmonic.
Alright, gentlemen, the chalk circle has been drawn. The game: knives.

author=Solitayre
Guys I already said once that this thread isn't for picking fights with harmonic.

Oh.

Seriously, though, Harmonic isn't bringing up his wife because he's secretly a racist. He's bringing her up because he's confusing us with his perception of liberals, who are hyper-tolerant bogeymen. I was trying to poke fun at that but instead made him feel like I was calling him a racist; sorry about that.
author=Sated
author=Ratty524
Would you be content with letting a parasite drain/infect an entire body just because it wants food?
If you think that a broad, diverse range of opinions will cause a discussion forum to die then you truly are lost.

How on earth are you supposed to discuss something with people you know won't just echo-chamber you? That sounds truly awful. I wouldn't know I'm right if I'm not guaranteed that people will agree with me.
author=Housekeeping
Alright, gentlemen, the chalk circle has been drawn. The game: knives.

author=Solitayre

Oh.

Seriously, though, Harmonic isn't bringing up his wife because he's secretly a racist. He's bringing her up because he's confusing us with his perception of liberals, who are hyper-tolerant bogeymen. I was trying to poke fun at that but instead made him feel like I was calling him a racist; sorry about that.

He is also assuming that we view him as a hyper-racist neanderthal misogynist conservative (and dozen other -ists), and acting defensively.

But I don't think republicans are hyper-racist neanderthal misogynists, I just think Trump is a hyper-racist neanderthal misogynist narcissistic unrepentant sociopath.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
It's basically become a meme. I wake up to see how the forum has decided to discuss my existence :D

Perhaps a special forum dedicated to Harmology. You can even pick fights with me there freely.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Speaking only with people who agree with you is more comforting, but if you want to encourage people of your point of view, you have to open yourself to difficult conversations. You don't have to agree with people with opposing viewpoints, but you should be willing to try and critically understand where those views come from, without making assumptions & with real discussion, so that you can better discuss why those viewpoints might be harmful.

Easier said than done, of course, and it's hard to have that kind of energy - plus... some viewpoints are just outright dangerous or nearly illogical.

FWIW, Harmonic, this isn't unique to just you;; there have been a lot of people on RMN with more conservative views and the conflict is not uncommon.
@slash
Comforting, huh... Encourage, huh? Sorry, but you talk like a pussified version of Hitler. The fact that you said that you "encourage" people to your point of view in a discussion, and not that it's a give-and-take, shows your view on what a discussion is. It's also telling that you seem to consider any opinion you don't agree with harmful.

Maybe it's so energy consuming to you to have discussions because you don't listen to the other part at all? That would take a lot of energy out of anyone, forcing your opinion on someone while simultaneously ignoring theirs.
User was warned for this post
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Annnnnnnnd there's the ad Hilterum. It was bound to happen at some point.

author=SnowOwl
The fact that you said that you "encourage" people to your point of view in a discussion, and not that it's a give-and-take, shows your view on what a discussion is.

That really depends on what the discussion is about. If the discussion is about a topic that doesn't threaten the ability to live a normal life for certain people, then yes, you need to be open towards the other party and the discussion is a give-and-take.
If the discussion is about basic human rights and decency towards certain people, then no, you don't need to be accepting towards someone saying those people are undeserving of such.

But I digress, this thread has been going on all kinds of tangents unrelated to Trump.

So, the way he's been treating China. Thoughts?
author=Jeroen_Sol
Annnnnnnnd there's the ad Hilterum. It was bound to happen at some point.

author=SnowOwl
The fact that you said that you "encourage" people to your point of view in a discussion, and not that it's a give-and-take, shows your view on what a discussion is.

That really depends on what the discussion is about. If the discussion is about a topic that doesn't threaten the ability to live a normal life for certain people, then yes, you need to be open towards the other party and the discussion is a give-and-take.
If the discussion is about basic human rights and decency towards certain people, then no, you don't need to be accepting towards someone saying those people are undeserving of such.

Discussions doesn't threaten anyone. In that case it wouldn't be a discussion anymore.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=SnowOwl
@slash
Comforting, huh... Encourage, huh? Sorry, but you talk like a pussified version of Hitler. The fact that you said that you "encourage" people to your point of view in a discussion, and not that it's a give-and-take, shows your view on what a discussion is. It's also telling that you seem to consider any opinion you don't agree with harmful.

Maybe it's so energy consuming to you to have discussions because you don't listen to the other part at all? That would take a lot of energy out of anyone, forcing your opinion on someone while simultaneously ignoring theirs.

I said encourage for specifically that reason. Nobody goes into a conversation like this expecting their innate values to change - they're there to convince others of their view. It's not meant to be a give-and-take, it's a debate. But, part of convincing other people is understanding why they feel the way they do in the first place. That's why I mentioned listening to other people & trying to understand where their point of view comes from. Even if you can't convince someone, you can learn more about them, which is better than nothing.

Since you - ironically - decided to ignore half my post so you could call me pussy hitler, I'd suggest not wasting my time in the future.
I think your opinions are harmful so I guess that means I can safely ignore anything you say and automatically be right in any discussion.
This "harmful" thing works wonderfully, now I don't have to change my opinion ever again.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I mean, if you're giving us free reign to ignore you, I'm not going to complain.

Anyway, I don't know enough about international diplomacy to understand the debate re: Trump talking to Taiwan & Chinese relations. The gist of what I've got is that discussions with Taiwan are a huge faux pax because of our relations with China - which I think is incredibly inane as a rule. What else should I know?
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
You seem to be very hung up on this "Other people's opinions are all harmful so I can ignore them." thing that slash isn't saying at all.

Also:

author=SnowOwl
Discussions doesn't threaten anyone. In that case it wouldn't be a discussion anymore.
author=Jeroen_Sol
...If the discussion is about a topic that doesn't threaten the ability to...

Yeah, I'm not opposed to the US president calling Taiwan. I think it's pretty petty of the Chinese government that the US president is supposed not to, just because they see Taiwan as a part of China. That being said, to so openly taunt China further by falsely claiming it's keeping its currency artificially low to me sounds like he's actively trying to sour the relationship with China.
pianotm
harmonic
It's basically become a meme. I wake up to see how the forum has decided to discuss my existence :D

Nah, you just made a really easy target this time around. Seriously though, not everyone here's trying to attack you. Well, at least I'm not.

Jeroen_Sol
Yeah, I'm not opposed to the US president calling Taiwan. I think it's pretty petty of the Chinese government that the US president is supposed not to, just because they see Taiwan as a part of China. That being said, to so openly taunt China further by falsely claiming it's keeping its currency artificially low to me sounds like he's actively trying to sour the relationship with China.

What's China going to do? End their multi-billion dollar agreement with us where they sell the shit, made warehouses full of slaves, their people won't buy? I actually understand why Trump might be doing this. I don't want him to make enemies out of China, but I'm all for him bringing their government down a notch. I don't remember how much of our product is made in China, but it's some ridiculous number like 80 or 90 percent, and almost none of it is quality, and most of it is the garbage they can't sell to their own people because keeping trash would be a better idea. They also make garbage exclusively to sell to us. If that deal ended, we'd have to start manufacturing a lot of stuff here again and that might actually bring some jobs back to our market. But that deal's not going to end. China's never going to let that deal end.
Some food for thought regarding China...
China's boom these last two decades have been in large part due to neoliberal economic policies that, we all know from the 2008 crash, have a limited shelf life before the shelf breaks and everything tumbles down. When this started to happen, the CPC doubled down by encouraging it's ordinary citizens to place their life savings into the stock market. This had a temporary buoying effect, but then the crash happened in 2015 anyway, marking the beginning of the end. They've been struggling to keep everybody invested whole ever since.
Now, the CPC maintains it's dictatorial decree via two methods. One is a ferocious police state with little-to-zero tolerance for dissidence. The second is hyper-nationalist propaganda. Since they've clearly lost the Mandate of Heaven, they've been amping up their nationalist fervor with reckless adventuring, like their claim that the South China Sea belongs exclusively to them, or their recent snub of Obama at the airport.

Taiwan's been an ongoing issue since the Jimmy Carter era, but it's still insolent and even childish of China to try telling the US President-elect who he can and can't talk to. It wasn't a G20 Summit. It was a simple phone call. China will just have to go pound sand.
But still. This adventuring of their is dangerous. Especially with an incoming president who can be sent into a frothing rage over an Alec Baldwin SNL skit.

author=Jeroen_Sol
That being said, to so openly taunt China further by falsely claiming it's keeping its currency artificially low to me sounds like he's actively trying to sour the relationship with China.

That's just Trump being Trump. If you call him a stinker, he'll call you a poopy head. His diplomacy and people skills are schoolyard level and it's just one of the many kinds of shit we'll have to put up with for the next four years.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=pianotm
you just made a really easy target this time around. Seriously though, not everyone here's trying to attack you. Well, at least I'm not.

Any Republican is an easy target in a liberal echo chamber. By the way, how does it feel knowing you only go after "easy targets"? Knowing full well you'll have lots of other people backing you up and little to no people backing up the other guy? Makes you feel like a big man huh? :)

The Taiwan thing is much ado about nothing. The first of 100,000 instances of Trump's every move being blown out of proportion. This will happen every day for the next 4/8 years, no matter how well he performs.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
author=harmonic
The first of 100,000 instances of Trump's every move being blown out of proportion. This will happen every day for the next 4/8 years, no matter how well he performs.

I mean that does sort of make sence, he hasn't really DONE anything yet so it could just be overeacting, but I dunno, people seem really concerned about it. Whatever happens, I agree with you that people wont stop going on and on and on about what Trump will or wont do for like 4 years and that it always seems like "He MIGHT do this" or "He MIGHT do that" instead of waiting for him to do it, so it's possible it's being blown out of proportion, but really, we just have to wait to see if it is or isn't, we can't predict the future.
pianotm
harmonic
By the way, how does it feel knowing you only go after "easy targets"? Knowing full well you'll have lots of other people backing you up and little to no people backing up the other guy? Makes you feel like a big man huh? :)

I don't need to feel like a big man. I AM a big man. That's why I've been watching what I eat.