PRESIDENT TRUMP

harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Dyhalto
I don't know why harm defends this guy so fervently.

Just say your call outs in normal-sized font.

I don't "defend this guy" and certainly not fervently. I'm basically the only person posting in RMN who isn't freaking out, which by contrast makes me look like the 2nd coming of Pinochet.

These claims that he's KKK white nationalist, just wants money, just wants to go nuking everyone... it's silly. It's massively delayed over reaction to losing the election. The fact that I'm even giving him a chance contrasts me heavily with the vast majority of RMN.

I will criticize him when it's due. I don't like how he handled the Carrier jobs deal, for example.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
if you want cred maybe post on some games or something dude
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Of course, he just wants money. That's what his whole life has been about. That's why he refuses to sever his business relations even though it's required by law. That's why every cabinet member he's staffed supports privatization of whatever they're in charge of. The man's openly confessed that he has no idea how to do the job and he never intended to win the election.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I'll stop 'freaking out' when he gives some indication that he has any idea how to do the job.

Nothing I've seen in the last two years is encouraging.

pianotm
The man's openly confessed that he has no idea how to do the job and he never intended to win the election.

Source?
pianotm
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/04/barack-obama-donald-trump-phonecalls-transition

Sorry. He's only admitted to not knowing what he's doing. It's the Huff that's speculating he never intended to win.
harmonic
author=pianotm
Of course, he just wants money. That's what his whole life has been about. That's why he refuses to sever his business relations even though it's required by law. That's why every cabinet member he's staffed supports privatization of whatever they're in charge of. The man's openly confessed that he has no idea how to do the job and he never intended to win the election.

Trump said he'd completely step away from his business. He's not president for another 2 months and it's a work in progress. Why do you say he refuses to sever his business relations?

Trump is a 70 year old businessman worth billions. He's not in this for the money. He decided to do the world's worst job for 4/8 years and he's taking no salary for it.
Craze
nah he can just go golfing with dubya. i'm pretty sure there are worse jobs that are harder to romanticize, like being a doctor in aleppo or being a child warrior in central africa.

also he's giving his business to his children. reallll distant lol

edit: please never forget

edit2: the only other two presidents to forgoe the salary were also wealthy but (in)famous -- jfk (shot) and hoover (reviled). maybe trump will be both

edit3: there were only two presidents to forgoe the salary. trump is not president, you're right, so i'd rather not say "other". #notmypresident
Solitayre
author=harmonic
Trump said he'd completely step away from his business. He's not president for another 2 months and it's a work in progress. Why do you say he refuses to sever his business relations?

Trump is a 70 year old businessman worth billions. He's not in this for the money. He decided to do the world's worst job for 4/8 years and he's taking no salary for it.

If this is honestly what you think then God are you in for a shock.
harmonic
author=Solitayre

So you think he is outright lying when he said he's stepping away from his business, and not taking a salary?
Craze
harmonic
Solitayre
So you think he is outright lying when he said he's stepping away from his business

yes
Solitayre
author=harmonic
author=Solitayre
So you think he is outright lying when he said he's stepping away from his business, and not taking a salary?

I think Donald Trump outright lies frequently, about a lot of things. Things that are easily verified and things that are in no way believable. Have you not noticed?

This is a big part of why I am so wary of him. We are looking at our foreign policy for the next four to eight years being a game of 'he said she said' where we can't even trust our president to deliver an objective assessment of what was discussed.

Giving his business to his children, who he has constant contact with and are seemingly heavily-involved in shaping his administration, strikes me as a pretty big conflict of interest.
pianotm
Oh, I'm not at all surprised he's not taking a salary, but you just need to take one look at his cabinet to see that his presidency is going to be all about business. Let's take another look at the peace treaty with Iran. For decades, the U. S. has had a trade embargo on Iran. Peace treaty is made and embargo ends. Trump has specifically said that his first order of business is to put an end to that peace treaty. Next, it's not ONLY a matter of Trump putting his sons in control of his companies. He still has personal holdings in those companies. His sons are merely acting as proxies for Trump. The situation is such that Senator Ben Cardin is now pushing for a resolution to force Trump to put his holdings in a blind trust. Such a resolution could not be considered unless Trump had already been told to abide by legal precedents and in turn told everyone to go to hell. Each of his cabinet picks aren't just fellow billionaires, they're fellow billionaires with very specific views about the jobs they have been selected for. Trump's pick for Environmental Secretary thinks the EPA needs to have the majority of it's functions handled by privately owned companies. His education secretary, Betsy DeVos believes that public schooling needs to be defunded and run by corporations for a profit. His Chief Strategist, Steve Bannon was the founder of Breitbart: there's your extreme alt-right. Jeff Sessions has made so many racist comments in his career, he's been denied appointment to the Supreme Court, so now he's Trump's Attorney General.

Never mind Trump's assertion that there were millions of fraudulent votes. Without any evidence, his Chief of Staff Reince Priebus supports the accusation. Back to Iran, Trump's security advisor, Michael Flynn told his staff that Iran was behind a recent terrorist attack, and then ordered them to prove it. In America, I'm pretty sure the conviction isn't supposed to come before the evidence.

Has there ever been a cabinet better designed to line the pockets of everyone in their private circle? Trump said he was going to drain the swamp, not appoint the swamp people to his cabinet.
Solitayre
Paul Ryan also looking at privatizing Medicare. Maybe even Social Security. Both are really hard to do but they've never been in a better position.
harmonic
Welp, if Trump doubles his personal wealth through corruption and the KKK starts roaming the streets nation wide looking for undesirables to purge, there'll be egg on my face.
pianotm
harmonic
Welp, if Trump doubles his personal wealth through corruption

I always thought this was a given.

and the KKK starts roaming the streets nation wide looking for undesirables to purge, there'll be egg on my face.

I'm of the mind that Trump was simply going after the racist vote, and that he likely won't take it so far, but...he did shout a lot of disturbing rhetoric, he does have a white supremacist on his staff, and he does use Hitler's writings as a learning guide. Also, a lot of very upsetting things have happened since his election: attacks on Muslim American's, especially women (tough guys going after people that can't or don't seem to be able to fight back), an increase in the murders of trans and LGBTQ. That has nothing to do with Trump's policy's, true, but it has everything to do with the overall feelings he's engendered in the American people.
Solitayre
If Trump steps away from his business and puts it in a blind trust, great. Objection withdrawn. But so far he has made every indication that his kids will be running things.
pianotm
There is one thing:

Obama said that he felt better about Trump after speaking to him, and that does help to put my mind at ease.
harmonic
author=pianotm
feelings he's engendered in the American people.

Those feelings were always there, guy. They've just been kept underground because of the social climate in the last few years. The climate where everyone is tripping over themselves to prove they're not a bigot, all the while saying very bigoted hypocritical things, and maintaining different standards for people based on their skin color, sex, etc. That's why I kept saying it's a bad idea to be those 3 letters that I'm not allowed to say only at RMN, because it just enflames a reaction that, now, is emboldened by the win of Trump.

This is not something I want. I hate white supremacists and extreme alt-righters just as much as anyone here. That's why I really REALLY wish leftists would stop shaming, shaming, shaming, every day, day in and day out, in all possible forms, because it creates a pendulum swing that you're seeing now. Don't fire the arrow you don't intend to be fired back at you.

This is very helpful advice for the left. If you argue that being Islamophobic creates terrorists, then you have to be ideologically consistent and argue that being extreme leftist creates extreme rightists. ...Unless you go back to having different standards for different people, amirite?

Here's a helpful illustration for what I mean:
I agree that "extreme leftists" are a problematic fringe group (mainly because they're annoying), but if you want that comic to be even remotely okay, you should cut out the third comparison down. No one from the left is advocating for terrorists to murder people; that's just far-right paranoia that turned itself into propaganda on 4chan at some point.

Also, I understand that this problem exists and it's probably on your mind, so you're bringing it up here, but I don't think anyone's really calling Trump or the majority of his supporters racist, at least in the current discussion. The perception of there being a lot of SJWs and racists is the problem; they're both small, very vocal groups, and the fact that they're so vocal gives the perception that everyone on the other side is that extreme. We mainly just need to learn how to filter out online noise.
"You're being mean to me!" Is neither a valid argument nor a valid justification for the amount of damage the Republican party's values cause.