FANCINESS AND CUT-OFF SCORE

Pages: first 12 next last
So, as pretty much everyone, I had my nice project, a seemingly bright idea, all that good stuff.

Didn't take long until I realized that a multi-ending visual novel, revolving around throwing your choices back at your very own face, was more that I could get myself to work on.
I thought about trimming stuffs here and there, but all that bright and motivation gets trimmed out along at the very thought of it.

All too common of a dev story, I know.

A wild question appears though.
As front-page projects grow on awesomeness, featuring deep stories, innovative scripts and top-tier graphics. The RTP assets and that "keep calm, keep simple and finish it" theory starts to seem off-place and lack luster.

What would make a "cut-off score" of being "worthy of submission"?
author=Kevincalanor
What would make a "cut-off score" of being "worthy of submission"?
Anything's worthy of submission, as long as it fits the minimum requirements of getting accepted on the site; that's the way I see it. I recently released an almost full RTP-made game, which of course isn't going to draw a lot of attention, but I'm still proud of it. :)
author=Kevincalanor
A wild question appears though.
As front-page projects grow on awesomeness, featuring deep stories, innovative scripts and top-tier graphics. The RTP assets and that "keep calm, keep simple and finish it" theory starts to seem off-place and lack luster.

Everlong and its recent mega-update is currently one of the most-discussed games on the site, and that's using a lot of stock assets and even still has a few rips in it. It's certainly not impossible.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Obvious Answer:

Your game must have a 500 character description and 3 screen shots.

Personal Opinion:

VX/Ace have the worst RTP. And some people like to make big empty ugly spaces using this RTP. I hate those games and I plan to find them all and give them the lowest possible review score.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
First games usually have a lot of problems. It's nothing to be ashamed of, just another opportunity to learn. Hardly any of those super fancy and well-designed games you can see getting a lot of attention were created by people who are new to RPG Making.

The best thing you can do is start small. Make a few simple, short games, join some contests, ask around for advice. And, most important of all: experiment. The more you get to know the engine you're working in, the more ambitious your projects can become. Maybe you can't make your complex, epic-lenght game happen yet, but it's not impossible to gain experience until you get to the point where you can.

This is why RMN's minimum requirements for games aren't that strict. That way, creators can receive critical feedback on their early projects and use this to improve their skills. So don't worry if your first few submissions aren't anything fancy or revolutionary. If you're willing to accept criticism and learn from your humble beginnings, you can't go wrong.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm seeing this attempt at game development as starting with what you do best (art), and going from there. As for using default resources to cover areas you don't have, so what? That's almost literally why they're there to begin with!

*Edit: Even if you do have bad mapping, or a bad description, there's threads here that exist to help in those regards.
Some of us happen to revel in those default resources~ ;p
There's no shame in using them, don't worry. It's how you use them that's the real issue - if you use them well, that's fine~
author=NeverSilent
The best thing you can do is start small. Make a few simple, short games, join some contests, ask around for advice. And, most important of all: experiment. The more you get to know the engine you're working in, the more ambitious your projects can become. Maybe you can't make your complex, epic-lenght game happen yet, but it's not impossible to gain experience until you get to the point where you can.

This is why RMN's minimum requirements for games aren't that strict. That way, creators can receive critical feedback on their early projects and use this to improve their skills.

Glad to see that the "Do it five star or don't do it at all" mentality didn't stick around here. Because, indeed, first projects always ends with some problems here and there, eventual problems are part of the process. ^^
"Live and Level-Up."

On a sidenote, weirds me out that I never had the thought of making short games up to now. Time to get some experiementing sorted. x3
There's a horror game event at the moment going on. Only a week left to it, but you can throw a 10 minute game together in a week, if you try pretty hard (and demos will count).

Yeah, it's always good to start small and build up from there. If you can get a finished game under your belt that's pretty cool, for one, and you can get a lot of feedback to help with the next game. It also helps to know that, hey, I can do this! I can make a game! Even if it's not great, I can keep going up and up and up from here~

Peeps already said all that needed to be said. Go do a little something!
It is all a long journey and as long as you make something you will have opportunity to do better and better.
There are so many ways to do things, I only recommend building on your strengths and avoiding too complex things as you start out to then experiment here and there.

There's also this little thing. Flawed games can be a lot of fun.
Make a plan, do an outline. Something that is small and doable.

Then just do it.

It isn't going to be perfect. No first game is. But it is experience. And all those flashy games, if they are anything other than flash, are built on experience.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Kevincalanor
Glad to see that the "Do it five star or don't do it at all" mentality didn't stick around here.

Wait, this was a thing? I mean, I sometimes think the Heartache custom content creation threads might have come off this way sometimes, but, RMN as a whole?
author=Marrend
Wait, this was a thing? I mean, I sometimes think the Heartache custom content creation threads might have come off this way sometimes, but, RMN as a whole?

I have habit of modding every single game-thing I can get to whack textures in or out.
So it end up as a lot of first tries and lots of community hubs, so I've seen, and had a few... rough ratings in the process.

I remember one Brazilian RPGmaker forum be quite less welcoming than here for example, probably overcautious with rule-breaks. The name of it eludes me now, and probably doesn't matter up to this point.

Either way, I never stumbled into any of this behavior around here, and this includes the HTC101 threads, wouldn't bother (or have motivation) to release the mod otherwise.
And the replies here proves that I was worrying too much when I've made this topic. ^^

As a last note, currently making a short game for the contest, if nothing goes out of line, I'll get a page up for Tuesday's "rally call".
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Liberty
There's no shame in using them, don't worry. It's how you use them that's the real issue - if you use them well, that's fine~

FEEL SHAME
author=LockeZ
author=Liberty
FEEL SHAME

NE'ER!
author=Kevincalanor
Glad to see that the "Do it five star or don't do it at all" mentality didn't stick around here.

The way I see it, it's much more worthwhile to do a 3 or 4 star project and actually complete it than spend an enormous amount of effort on a 5-star game that may never see the light of day. I've seen so, so many projects with amazing visuals that struggle to make it past early stages of development because the devs under-estimated how much work it is to keep the level of quality up for a full game.

Start small, start modest. Make something achievable.
I just released my first game and all the visuals are cobbled together from generator parts and stock art, but it seems to be doing fairly well review and popularity-wise regardless. I can't draw my way out of a paper bag so I just circumvented it as much as possible. :V

Basically don't even worry about your visuals; if you can't make them flashy, oh well, just do your best and play to your strengths. JUST... *SQUAT* DO IT
I have fancy pants. FLASH! FLASH! FLASH!
Pants with a red streak.
See your first project as a learning exercise. It must be small so you can complete it. A one month duration is about the right size. That's why events often have a one month development time. You'll feel proud of completing your first learning exercise.

There will always be games better that our own somewhere and it is very easy to feel ashamed of our first creations. Fear not, play on your strengths and show what you can do. Events are a great place to start and overcome the initial apprehension. You'll receive valuable feedback to improve your next projects.

My first project had a horrible ASCII display that flickered every frame but I was able to make a game that didn't crash while running a functioning AI. I was proud of this first achievement. The feedback I received helped me a lot to improve it and benefited my next projects.

You draw great art and you already built a game demo of The Cleaner that far exceeds "worthy of submission".
author=Irog
See your first project as a learning exercise. It must be small so you can complete it. A one month duration is about the right size.

*Looks at Prom Dreams*

*Looks at its 16 month development time*

*Look into the camera like I'm on The Office*
Pages: first 12 next last