[RMMV] MAP ITEM & FURNITURE DISTRIBUTION

Pages: 1
Afternoon,

This is my first exterior map and I've finally gotten to a place where I'm satisfied with it. I was wondering if people have personal strategies for the distribution of misc items like trees etc. I've placed things fairly randomly just to fill space while making sure the environment still makes a kind of sense (i.e. tree stump on road because there is no point cutting down trees which aren't being an inconvenience to travellers.

But I don't think this is the best way to do things. What is your strategy?

I also wouldn't mind any feedback on the map overall. I'm still a beginner.

Thank you for your time.

Here's a tutorial I made a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6-nCvLja2U

I also recommend not making a bunch of different topics since you're just focussed on the same map. Also, make use of the screenshot threads that exist:
https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/16862/
https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/19505/
Oh! I didn't realise they existed.

Thank you very much Liberty.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The basic frame looks fine, but you need to put more things in the map.
Also that one cliff on the left side that is on top of the other cliff looks a bit strange.
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
author=kory_toombs
The basic frame looks fine, but you need to put more things in the map.
Also that one cliff on the left side that is on top of the other cliff looks a bit strange.

That could be because it's 4 high in the front and only one high in the back. Try adding another row.

As for filling space, first I apply logic. Like you said with the tree in the the road. Trees and stumps would be removed but paths and some small rocks might remain. While the path is covered in grass (so not a maintained road) it does have stairs, so it once was touched by human hands. This is where the path's use becomes important. As a footpath, a stump to the side is fine. But if it were a well-travelled path then you wouldn't have stuff in the way.

I've also found that flowers work better in clumps for nature areas.

Another good thing to do is to just observe the real world. How are natural features distributed and, more importantly, why? Of course this only works for realistic landscapes.
Thank you for your assistance Dragnfly. I believe you are talking about the cliff on the right when you are referring to the 4 high cliff. I did move that one back one row and you are right. It does look better.

I do agree with Kory though. That formation on the left looked strange to me as soon as I made it. I don't believe natural cliffs should be symmetrical which is why I've placed some nooks and curves in the front of my cliffs. I'm experimenting with doing the same to the back but it wasn't working out perfectly.
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
I should've specified which hill. Sorry about that. Yeah, I meant the one on the right like you thought.

Another option for this type of setting is wildlife that's out of the player's reach. If you can get birds, rabbits, a walrus or whatever else, putting them out of the player's reach eliminates the need for interaction and brings life (literally) to the field.
Pages: 1