HOPEFULLY THIS IS THE RIGHT BOARD. MIGHT GET BACK INTO RMING.. IS MV WORTH IT?

Pages: 1
Long time RPG Maker '95/RPG Maker 2000/2003 user here. Infact, some of you may remember me from some years ago as Rowen/Adam Kadmon.

Anyway, I came across the RMMV trial and I've been testing it out for the past few days. The engine seems pretty solid with a ton of flexibility. I'm thinking about finishing a project that I started long ago and I'm having to decide between 2k3 or MV. Obviously MV would be the better engine, but for those of you experienced with 2k3 is it really? From my understand XP, VX and Ace had their share of issues, so does MV follow suit or have those issues been resolved?
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The only thing really hurting MV is piss-poor optimization. I don't know how Enterbrain made a 2D game-making engine that lags and has huge filesizes, but that's a thing. I don't know if Degica is working on it, but that's part of the agenda.

Otherwise, it's pretty good for the most part. Not really a step forward from VXAce, but it has it's plusess, like multi-platform support and a more widely-used scripting language.
It only lags on older/bad machines, otherwise it works just fine. The larger file sizes are because of the double-use of the default graphics, but a new update has taken care of that issue so if you've got a decent computer (do check the recommended stats just as you would any game) it's fine to use.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
It is just a teeny tiny bit messed up that i can run next gen games with no lag but a 2D engine makes my processor dry heave.
Yeah, I noticed that when compared to me running RPG Maker 2003. ..like wtf?

So save for the lag the engine is definitely worth it? Or should I go with Ace instead? (I also heard games converted to Android run slow af.)
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It depends. Ace is probably the best choice for now. In two years, it can be MV with variety of resources and scripts.
Personally, I don't see any reason to switch to MV just yet. There so much left, I want to do with ace.
unity
You're magical to me.
I prefer Ace, but MV, while it has its problems, is still a pretty darn good maker. There is supposed to be a future update that's supposed to fix all of those memory leak problems that are causing the lag, but there's no telling when that's coming as far as I know (if anyone knows better, please correct me here).
They're likely hoping to catch them in one fell swoop.

If you see it on sale, definitely nab it. It's worth it to have in your pocket not only for the maker itself but because you can then use the resources in it (music, graphics, etc) in other RPG Makers. (The monsters, music and sounds, for example are easily ported to Ace.)

Honestly, there's trials for both. Check them out and see which you like better and how they run on your machine. I don't have an issue running either, but again, checking the required resources is something you should do for programs anyway. (I think it needs at least 4GB processor?)
author=Liberty
It only lags on older/bad machines, otherwise it works just fine. The larger file sizes are because of the double-use of the default graphics, but a new update has taken care of that issue so if you've got a decent computer (do check the recommended stats just as you would any game) it's fine to use.

Do MV games still run on a webkit that have a 100 MB launcher? Because that's a thing that needs to go.
Pages: 1