DO WE HAVE A YOUTUBE PRESENCE?

Pages: 1
So today I heard that Youtube has recently breached 2,000 channels with over 1 million subscribers each, with that number expected to double in the next year.

Like, yo...are we getting in on this? Do we have a Youtube channel, and if we do, are we active on it, things like...

1. Scripting tutorials
2. Feature game video reviewed
3. Walkthroughs
4. Let's Plays (as applicable)
5. Podcasts
6. Creator interviews
7. Music and creator events

And a ton more. Not only would this be massive visibility for the site, but it would be great opportunity for the community as well, creating dialogue and interaction between scripters, creators, players, artists, and everything else.

Youtube is only getting bigger, and if we don't already have a Youtube channel that's active, we're missing out on a big piece of the pie. Let's get it!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
If it does get big with many viewers we could always monetize it with profits going to RMN! If only people or those involved feel comfortable with that considering the recent LP thing lol
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Well, RMN has a Youtube channel and it's in the link at the top banner, but there's next to no activity. I would step up and volunteer to manage it, but I don't know anything about managing a personal channel, let alone one for a website like this.

I agree that there's a lot of untapped potential with it, though, and those suggestions are pretty awesome. I'd love to see any of those actually implemented.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Feldschlacht IV
Like, yo...are we getting in on this? Do we have a Youtube channel, and if we do, are we active on it, things like...

1. Scripting tutorials
3. Walkthroughs
5. Podcasts
6. Creator interviews

Is this you volunteering to put together some of the above content?
author=Solitayre
author=Feldschlacht IV

1. Scripting tutorials
3. Walkthroughs
5. Podcasts
6. Creator interviews

Is this you volunteering to put together some of the above content?

I would absolutely help with that effort. I think it should be a team effort though, because its one of those things that would work better with a couple of heads and backs to think and work.

That, and I'm still in the military though (so while, I'm on land and get to go home to my apartment, its still a full time job), BUT my enlistment ends (and with that, I'm a free man) in a month and some change, so I would definitely need help until then. I'd love to be part of a rockin' team, though!
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Cool. As you likely have gathered we have no formal YouTube efforts at this time. Like any content on this site, any videos are user created, and I know we do have users who create a lot of video content but right now none of that is used as formal site content on our channel.

If you guys want to spearhead some YouTube efforts, I'm sure kentona will want to hear about it.
One day I'll finish that catalogue. Today is not that day.

Honestly, how would we do some of the stuff you recommend?
1. Scripting tutorials would require scripters to actually make videos about scripts and from what I've seen, that's a very rare thing. A lot of our scripters on the site are usually not involved in the community and use the script section as advertisement/sharing for their scripts.

2. Feature game video reviewed - this we could do if someone wanted to step up.

3. Walkthroughs - there's enough games on the site that don't have written walkthroughs, let alone video ones, and video ones can easily fall under the heading of LPs. Maybe we should just add a Walkthrough option to the video list, though, in case anyone does want to add one to their own game. And yeah, that's another thing - very often if there is a walkthrough it's made by the dev. We're not GameFAQs, where the community is focussed on sharing that kind of thing, so it would fall on the head of the developer to do that, and most of the time they find it hard enough to make time for gammak, let alone making videos about gam.

4. Let's Plays (as applicable) - Probably best left on their own channels, and no wonder. People like to keep their stuff as their stuff. Unless they sent us the video files so that we could upload, then LPers are probably going to want that kept on their own channels.

5. Podcasts - This has possibilities.

6. Creator interviews - This also has possibilities, though we would need someone who would want to take over this idea/position.

7. Music and creator events - Round-ups and announcements of events would be a neat idea. I might actually look into this for the future.

Another thing we could do is just showing off a bunch of games each week or so, sort of like a spotlight. Maybe for New and Notable games each month or something?

Thing is, a lot of this does take time and software and, if you're doing voiced stuff, hardware. A lot of people are either too shy, too busy, don't care or can't do what you propose. That said, I might see about reviving the channel a little - poke about and see what we actually have on there.
idk, sounds like a lot of work. i'm also not fond of poor audio quality, no you can't just use your laptops built in mic.

no, no please at least set up some form of 3 directional light on your face.
what the hell i said 3 directional!!! no! the one light in your room is not enough for correct lighting!

also your mumbling! youtubes really serious cmon man you gota take this seriously!
this is hopeless, how are we gona be youtube stars with your attitude
Thanks for the reply, Liberty. I'll address some of the stuff you mentioned.

Honestly, how would we do some of the stuff you recommend?

author=Liberty
1. Scripting tutorials would require scripters to actually make videos about scripts and from what I've seen, that's a very rare thing. A lot of our scripters on the site are usually not involved in the community and use the script section as advertisement/sharing for their scripts.

I have no way of proving this, but I think that's a rare thing because the market for it hasn't been opened, yet. I think there is a fair potential market for it, given the fact that 1. A lot of people would love to learn how to script, even the basics and 2. 'How to program shit' is already a very popular Youtube subject to begin with.

I'm not saying that replicating this with indie game making would be a perfect science, but I do think it's there; it just hasn't been taken advantage of yet.

author=Liberty
3. Walkthroughs - there's enough games on the site that don't have written walkthroughs, let alone video ones, and video ones can easily fall under the heading of LPs. Maybe we should just add a Walkthrough option to the video list, though, in case anyone does want to add one to their own game. And yeah, that's another thing - very often if there is a walkthrough it's made by the dev. We're not GameFAQs, where the community is focussed on sharing that kind of thing, so it would fall on the head of the developer to do that, and most of the time they find it hard enough to make time for gammak, let alone making videos about gam.

Those are good points, I was just brainstorming some stuff off the top. I think the very popular games like Hero's Realm could be a good jumping off point, though.

author=Liberty
4. Let's Plays (as applicable) - Probably best left on their own channels, and no wonder. People like to keep their stuff as their stuff. Unless they sent us the video files so that we could upload, then LPers are probably going to want that kept on their own channels.

Perhaps, I'm not sure of the politics behind that!

author=Lib
5. Podcasts - This has possibilities.

Let's do it! We can definitely draft up some subject matter.

author=Lib
6. Creator interviews - This also has possibilities, though we would need someone who would want to take over this idea/position.

True.

author=Lib
Another thing we could do is just showing off a bunch of games each week or so, sort of like a spotlight. Maybe for New and Notable games each month or something?

I think that's an awesome idea.

author=Liberty
Thing is, a lot of this does take time and software and, if you're doing voiced stuff, hardware. A lot of people are either too shy, too busy, don't care or can't do what you propose. That said, I might see about reviving the channel a little - poke about and see what we actually have on there.

This is true, but that's true of any subject, but the fact remains that almost any subject you can imagine has tons of Youtube coverage; why should we be any different? I think there is a vast untapped potential that we can take advantage of that would jumpstart the site, the community, and the makers and players.
We should trademark RPGmakerâ„¢..and RPG world where people make gamed and stuff...and we get money ofcourse..
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I'll throw in my two cents for what it's worth on the scripting videos and that is I don't prefer watching videos for scripts! You'd think it would be easier but I just don't like it and usually avoid them unless they are the only option which I don't think I've come across so far
We have a Youtube account, but idk if that's the same as a "youtube channel" - I don't really know the ins and outs of YT. I just use it to listen to music videos at work mostly, and show the kids edutainment videos at home.

I think I put Liberty in charge of it years ago. If she wants to take on staff to help manage it, she should!

Feld, did you want back into my super secret cabal of RMN helpermonkeys? (remember back in 2010 when I did that kind of stuff?)
Yeah, I'm game! I'd love to help out and see how far we can take the concept!
Pages: 1