DID RMN GET NEW ADS?

Pages: 1
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
Starting today, I have started seeing random ads linked to text. It's really annoying. I hope this is only temporary. It shows up everywhere (it's even in some of the headers) and is unprofessional. It also makes my browser cluttered. I'd like to see them removed if there not necessary. Do we have any alternatives or anything?
I've seen this before too. It's been around since I registered. I don't know why it does it though.
author=Blobofgoo
random ads linked to text.

Which text are you referring to? Because I don't think there are any ads linked to text on my side at all. Not on Google Chrome, anyway.
A lot of 'ads' in this style are actually on the end user's computer - not quite spyware, not quite malware, but a piece of software installed into the browser at some point that inserts contextual advertising in the text. It's especially prevalent in Internet Explorer and Firefox, and less so in Chrome, but it occurs in pretty much every browser (and sometimes sneaks in with stuff you weren't expecting it to be bundled in).

The rest, you can generally opt out of by finding the company that provides the ads, head to their site, and find the 'opt out' option that sets a cookie on your computer to not do this anymore.
I used to have it happen. I think it's a program added by either the browser or a download at one point.

There are ads on the site- they help to pay to keep the site open and running, but a simple donation to RMN nets you ad-free browsing. That said, most RMN ads are non-intrusive - a banner at the bottom of the page, and one at the top, I think it was. I soon donated so I've not seen one for a while.

Blobofgoo
I fixed it. In chrome, all I had to do was fo to extensions and delete the ad extensions. Apparently they bond to browsers without user consent.

How to delete Text Enhance
Yeah, I only have implemented GoogleAds - nothing else. There is one smaller ad at the top header, and one larger one in the footer.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
i just recently disabled my ad blocker on rmn because it apparently hurts some sort of profit i guess
author=Adon237
i just recently disabled my ad blocker on rmn because it apparently hurts some sort of profit i guess
Only if you clicked ads before, and I only get like 11 cents a click (and I am forbidden from requesting that you guys click ads, so feel free to reenable the adblocker! Like I've mentioned before, RMN truly runs off of donations, ad revenue is just a supplement).
<link removed> is it just ad or a working guide
On a related note, has there been any more consideration into the idea of renting ad space out to gamedevs on this site (and other indie sites)?
Blobofgoo
author=Dyhalto
On a related note, has there been any more consideration into the idea of renting ad space out to gamedevs on this site (and other indie sites)?

This thread is from 2013. You should probably make your own thread for that.
Pages: 1